Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Give Thanks







Today I am thankful for my sisters. There are so many things that I could write about it is almost unfair to put it all into one post but I am going to try...
My sisters are on my mind every single day. Today I have especially been thinking about Hannah because she is 19 today! It is so crazy to think that in just a couple of years the Leah will be 20! I guess I will break it down by sister:
Sarah: My only big sister. Sarah is such a hard worker. Not only did she finish a double major degree in less than 4 years and work a full time job while putting herself through school, she is fixing to finish up getting her masters! Sarah imresses me because she seems to be such a quick learner. She would pick up some yarn and try out knitting and would have and afghan before to long. She wanted to cheer after never doing so before and made the squad. She worked at a bakery and then later made my wedding cake! One random tidbit that I love about Sarah is her writing. I have always envied that talent. I remember a paper that she had written about about a unborn baby whose mother was at an abortion clinic. The paper grasped a point of view that had never been as real to me until then. I am thankful for her and all of her talents. Sarah, I love you.
Hannah: Her and I are the middle children. Sarah and Leah will never know what that is like. I guess it is fitting that in so many ways we are one in the same. Hannah is my basketball buddy (Leah can be at times :) What I love about Hannah is that she gives everything that she has to whatever it is that she is doing. Hannah loves hard, cries hard, hugs hard, and is hard core about her love for Jesus. Hannah is wise beyond her yeas too. It is funny because I guess I thought of myself that way that I never really saw those traits in Hannah until I was out of the house. She is insightful and very intelligent. One random tidbit that I love about Hannah is how sensitive she is. Hannah is always teaching me about compassion and what it truly means to hurt for someone who is hurting and rejoice with those that are rejoicing. I am thankful that she loves us all so much that she puts herself in harms way to protect us. Hannah, I love you
Leah, my baby sister. She has always been the peacemaker. Leah, in my opinion, has the best sense of humor of us all. She knows how to make us smile and laugh, it is part of how she brings peace. Leah gives some of the sweetest advice and some of the best hugs. Everything about Leah radiates love. She has a sweet spirit, caring words, a heart that delights in the Lord. One random tidbit about Leah is that she has an amazing voice. I remember the first time that I came home from college and Leah and Hannah sang a duet at church. Leah sang a solo. It was probably the most angelic thing I had ever heard. I never knew she could sing like that, she hadn't ever done that before. I cried because her singing was such a true reflection of who she is. She doesn't mind letting others take the spotlight, she would rather not herself. She encourages others that they can do it, while supporting quietly on the sidelines. Then, when she decides to step onto the stage it is breathtaking and everyone can see what I have had the privelege to see all her life. Leah, I love you.
I am thankful that I have sisters. I am thankful that we have so many memories together. I am thankful we can laugh with and at each other. I am thankful that despite many fights, we always make up. I am thankful for the sisters that God chose for me. He did a good job.
I love you all so much and not many people can say there sisters are some of there best friends. Like all friendships and relationships in general, we have our ups and our downs. But it is because of the bond of blood that we have that helps remind me that we are a special kind of love. Jane Austen puts in well in her 1814 Mansfield Park
"Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in the power, which no subsequent connections can supply..."

1 comments:

My life with 4 Daughters and Preacher said...

I think that I have the best daughters ever. Starting with Sarah and I was so scared if I would be a good single parent; then you 3 come so quickly after dad and I married. It has always been fun to see what two would be on good terms for a while; on bad terms for a while; you know that you all had special one on one time with each other and I am so glad that you did!