Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Give Thanks

Today I am pulling double duty again. I was so exhausted yesterday, I choose early bedtime over blogging so here is double the thanks...



Today I am thankful for a table. I am not just thankful for, a table. Yes it is pretty. I love how everyone can have different tables. Some have stories behind them, some are old, some are new, some are round, some square...... but I am thankful for what the table stands for. Growing up, eating meals as a family was a normal occurance. I didn't realize that it wasn't for other families. I am thankful that we sat around the table, prayed as a family, and then all talked, around the table, as a family.
Now that I am a parent I am realizing that eating around the table most of the time is harder than it might appear. Sometimes the couch just looks so much more comfy after a long hard day. I never realized how our television would be such a magnet away from our table, and our family time. Sometimes when Ryne and I eat lunch together that is the only time we will get to talk all day. That time is precious.
I am thankful that I have many memories from around the table conversations. We talked about plenty of school activities, boys, friends, events, frustrations, questions and so much more around our table. Around the table is where we started one of my VERY favorite family traditions. At birthday meals, we would go around and say encouraging things to the birthday girl (once a year, boy) We would say how much we loved them, why they are so special, list encouraging things, talk about a favorite memory with that person. I just LOVE it.
I hope that now I can start to give those same positive feelings to my kids about eating together as a family because I know that I am very thankful for that.

What are you thankful for today?

I am thankful for different people. I am thankful that we all have different minds, thoughts and ideas. I have really been thinking a lot about this lately and to be honest, couldn't decide how thankful I really was about that. Different minds also means different opinions, diferent views, different personalities. However, I decided that I am more thankful for some of the positive things that differences bring me. I am thankful that people are craftier than me. I love Canton and I am glad that other people's minds think up some of the fun things that I see there. I am glad that other opinions broaden up my horizons and give me an opportunity to search deeper into my own opinions. I am thankful that other brains are math and number brains because my mind is SO not that. I am thankful for the thoughts and ideas that I have. I am thankful that there are people in the world that write, act, sing, play, dance, calculate, and so many other things. I am especially glad that the more I meet other people, the more that I get to see that in other people. I think it is pretty neat that I serve a God who could make us so perfectly unique, even in our minds. I am thankful for that...

What are you thankful for today?

1 comments:

Caitlin said...

I think your next blog should be about me..just saying :)

Love you and call me later and let Riley leave me a voicemail!