Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I finally have a Brother!!!

That's right. I have been wanting to learn how to sew for quite sometime and someone gave me a sewing machine! -a brother :) This is my very first sewing project! It was practice for what you will see below...
Grandmother working hard...



But just for proof... I did sew as well! She was a great teacher and I am in love with my new brother!


What we are making: I was super excited to get my sewing machine because I had my eye on a project. I made/am makeing a banner for each of the kids that says "hooray for Riley (Sam)" The idea is that we can not only use it at Birthday parties but also for special occasions such as passing a test, accomplishing a goal, etc. The idea is that we can use it as they get older. I know that it might get a little cheesy when they get older and there might be some years when they say "mom, do we really have to get that thing out", but I think in the end it will have a lot of memories.
Sew, here is what we did:
I had to cut out all the letters in the font that I wanted and then draw it onto my fabric and cut them again.


We cut out squares for the letters to go on. You wouldn't believe how long it took us to make a template of a square. Geesh!


Then we used some sort of adhesive to iron the letters onto the squares.


This process took a LOT of trial and errors. However, after we finally figured it out, I loved the stuff we used!


So my letters went from paper, to white fabric, to adhesive fabric, to white letter on a blue square!


After that I cut out all of my triangles! (that template didn't take near as long)

I laid it out to get an idea of how it was going to look


Then I put a front triangle with a back triangle and got it all ready to sew!


First we sewed the squares to the front triangle, then the triangles together, then we pinned the binding, sewed and....
The Final pictures will come in a couple of weeks at Riley's Birthday Party!!! But I am SO happy with how it turned out. I can't wait to go buy fabric for Sam's!


Meanwhile.....

Riley and Sam were playing dress up. (oh and did I mention Riley was playing in the bathroom sink. Even though she knows that is a no-no, I let her think she was getting away with it because she wasn't in my way while sewing...hence the really wet shirt)

Beautiful. Love that cheesy grin.

She gave her brother some jewelry too!

Sam had lots of fun!

Riley liked to play in all the nooks and cranny's at Grandmother's house.

This was also a couple of weekends ago but I just hadn't had time to blog about it. My visit time with Grandmother was short but I enjoyed the time that I did have. I really liked sewing and visiting while doing it. She was a great teacher and I look forward to learning lots and lots more. I see so many projects that I want to learn how to do, but I guess I should just slow down a little... Thanks Grandmother for helping me on this project. I had a SUPER time with you and will always think of you when I pull out her banner.
It is crazy because Riley will be 2 in just a couple of weeks! My SamMan is 10 months old today as well! It won't be long before he is 1.
I hope other people enjoyed reading my Give Thanks posts in November. I know that I really enjoyed thinking and blogging about it. It just goes to show that we have so much to be thankful for. It was good for me to be thinking those positive thoughts. November was a rough, long month. I have to say, I am really glad it is December!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I like all of your posts! Wow you did a lot! Haha :)

Grandma "at the lake" said...

I love your banner!!! That is really a neat idea! You were telling me about it but was hard to visualize, but it is adorable. Can't wait to see it in person. Love you.

The Lyons said...

Wow@ Riley and Sam are so big! Josh and I are enjoying life in Alaska. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas break! I would love to share with you about an awesome opportunity that I recently heard of - could you send me the best way to contact you. It would be great to catch up too! Nice job sewing :o) I'm impressed! (and soon, I will be updating my blog)