Sunday, March 28, 2010


Today we bought Riley a bubble gun! Earlier this afternoon I found myself angry and hurt when some of the kids, in our yard, wouldn't share their bubbles with Riley. I informed them they either had to share their bubbles or play somewhere else. They left. And Riley cried and asked for bubbles, which we did not have. So tonight when we were roaming the isles at Target Ryne and I couldn't resist getting Riley a bubble gun. It made me realize that this won't be the last time that my daughter gets her feelings hurt by someone else. To be honest, it made me a little nervous to think about the times when I won't be able to just go out and purchase something to "fix" it. Nor do I want to always. I am so encouraged when I read other blogs of mothers who are raising children who make it seem so effortless. I am thankful for all the times that my mother taught me how to respond with love and kindness. I hadn't realized how difficult that must have been for her at times. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to playing outside tomorrow with our new toy. (of course now I am thinking we should have bought two, but that is another issue :)
On another note, It may be a few days before I can post about our spring break but my SIL Hannah has a few pictures on her blog.
And you should check out my friend Maryanne's blog. She put up some wonderful shots of my kiddos. (I didn't think we got a single one of Sam in his outfit from Singapore where he wasn't crying, but apparently she did :)

3 comments:

Locketts said...

Girl I am right there with you. Still unclear on where to draw the line between 'fix-it mommy' and 'hug-it-out mommy'. I think one of the toughest things is that we can feel the sting that they're feeling, remnants of past hurts in our own lives. Luckily, at this age there's not much that some lap time with mommy and a good 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie' story can't soothe.

My life with 4 Daughters and Preacher said...

There will be plenty of bubbles and other goodies for Miss Riley and Mr Sam this weekend! We may have a few things for the birthday girl too.
Honey

Jennifer said...

I hope you have so much fun with that bubble gun!
- Jennifer